Monday, May 31, 2010

Best. Practice. EVER

This week has been nothing but killer sets.  All week.  But that's how we get better; sometimes we have to tough it through hard sets to get better.  But that's how it is and better is what I want, so I am not going to complain.     

I was expecting a hard practice today, but I guess they let us off because we worked so hard this week.  First, we did snakes.  I led the train, starting at one end and doing a lap in each lane, snaking my way across the pool.  After a few snakes, we did the thing I have been begging to do all week.  I have no idea what it's called.

We took the lane lines out and everybody lined up on the wall with our kick boards ready.  At "GO!" we would sprint kick to the other end.  Then we would be arranged, fastest in the middle, slowest on the outsides, like birds.

Random kid 1 "Aww!  I always have to kick on the sides!"
Coach "Don't worry, all parts of the flock are equally important."
Me "Yeah, the ones on the sides are the ones who get shot first."

After a few times, things got messy.  It was hilarious, we were like a pack of vicious OPEN WATER swimmers!

After that, we played sharks and minnows.  Just let me clarify that we never ever ever do sharks and minnows, so this was a treat.  Surprisingly, as I'm not too hot at anything but swimming, even water polo, I was really good at this.  I was last minnow(s) on each one! 

It was a ton more fun too because the evil people who get way to absorbed in the game and shun people like brutes not caring how many injuries they cause to win a game of Sharks and Minnows were not there.  YES!  So almost nobody got a sharp, careless jab to the eye.

So basically most of the people I like were there, we played games and all got along and I didn't get jabbed ruthlessly in the chest; the universe loves me!

No comments:

Post a Comment