Friday, April 23, 2010

Trying Something New

Trying something new is a hard thing to do.  It really is.  Whether it is something easy or something hard, it is challenging to do so.  Most people are creatures of habit.  We like doing things in a routine that we are comfortable in.  It is understandable that we don't really want to do new things sometimes. 

But setting yourself up so that your mindset is that you are not going to like whatever you might start to try isn't good.  Don't follow?  Here's what this sounds like-
  • I don't want to, I hate it!
  • That sucks.
  • That wouldn't be fun at all.
All without being in it or giving it at least one try.  How do you know you are going to hate something if you haven't tried it? 

My low key example is this; I wasn't really into art about a year ago.  I wasn't really looking forward to the art lessons that we had to do each week.  But after one lesson, I found out that I might actually like painting.  So on my own time one day I went down to the art room, locked the doors, and painted a picture.  Painting  pictures is now something that I love doing.

My very big example is swim team.  My friend was on the Twinsburg Tiger Sharks, and wanted me to start too.  She said it was really fun and told me a lot about it.  I have been swimming all my life.  I mean really, starting with the "Mommy and Me" classes when I was wee little.  But only lessons.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit to something big like swim team.  Acctually thinking back on it, I think I had the mindset that I was talking about before.

  • I don't want to do it, I hate it!
  • That sucks.
  • That wouldn't be fun at all.
But thankfully I tried something new.  Turns out I love it.  Swimming is one of the biggest joys and passions of my life so far.  If I hadn't tried something new, I don't know if I would have found that out yet.

So try something new sometime.  It might turn out to be a really, really good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment